Like the blue diamond, sparkling and shaking by invisible winds, Lake George, about 200 miles north of Manhattan, lies in a bed of crushed green velvet, officially named the Adirondack Mountains. As a destination, it can be considered a jewel.
One of eleven New York State tourist districts – including Long Island, New York City, the Hudson Valley, the Catskill Mountains, the metropolitan area, Central Leather Stocking, the Thousand Butcher, the Finger Islands, the Greater Niagara Lakes, and the Chutakua Allegheny Adirondacks themselves are part of the Great Cambrian Shield. Composed of pre-rock volcanic rocks that turned upwards about 10 million years ago, they were once the basis for hunting Native Americans Iroquois and Junquin.
In order to protect wildlife and prevent forest depletion, however, New York State established six million acres of Adirondack Park 2.6 of which were federally owned and 3.4 of which were privately owned in 1892, and two years later the Adirondack Forest was established "The Preservation", a protected area forever Constitutionally protected for the purpose of "preserving (scenic), scenic, recreational and environmental".
Covering an area of 9,375 square miles, it is now a haven for vast silent forests, 46 rugged peaks and covered with green carpets – Mount Marcy is 5,343 feet high, the highest in the park and in all 3,000 New York State lakes and 30,000 miles of rivers And fast tables. It has the headwaters of the Hudson River, Lake Champlain, the Black River, the St. Lawrence River, and the Mohawk River.It offers abundant nature-based activities, from hunting, fishing, skiing, hiking and camping to mountain biking, and attracts more than ten million annual visitors. It is the largest reserve in the United States.
"In the mid-19th century, Adirondack was an undiscovered natural treasure," according to the guide "Visit the Lake George area of Adirondack in New York" (p. 1). “Hidden peaks with mirror surfaces are made with original rainbow trout. White-tailed deer roam on the shores of silent waterways. The towering high mountains are strewn with a stunning panorama of wooded landscapes below. Borderless forests of sugar maple and American beech trees As far as the eye sees, the drawing of autumn hills and valleys is a blend of deep orange and flaming red. Lake George was the sparkling jewel of the treasure chest of Adirondacks.
Lake George Village
After being named by three names, Lake George began as "Andia-ta-roc-te", which Native Americans called; she advanced to "Lac du Saint Sacrement", or "Lake of the Sacrament Sacrament", a title that Granted by Father Isaac Yogis, the first major white he saw in 1646; and ended with the current "Lake George".
Although the pristine nature of the region may suggest tranquility, its early history was marked by conflict, as evidenced by the three forts, including Gage, George and William Henry, who had risen from the shores and were an integral part of the French and Indian War.
I also played revolutionary war activity there. In May 1775, Ethan Allen and 83 of the Green Mountain Boys captured Fort Ticonderoga, 32 miles north, without firing a shot from their pistols, and seized it from the British. Lake George was a strategic waterway during the war for the next eight years.
During the winter of 1775 to 1776, Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Knox transferred artillery from Bolton to Fort Ticonderoga via bulls for George Washington's eventual use in defense of the British in Boston.
The following year, British General Bourguin traveled south from Lake Champlain and then across Lake George with his facilities and supplies, culminating in the defeat at Saratoga. Other historically important figures in the region also hesitated: in April 1776. Benjamin Franklin and Philip Schuyler passed the waters of Bolton as they headed north to the military situation in Canada, and seven years later General George Washington visited the lake head during his private office. Revolution inspection. Thomas Jefferson, who explores the area in 1791, stopped to express its original quality when he wrote that the lake was "the most beautiful water I've ever seen" in a letter to his daughter.
Lake George, formed after the combination of Queensbury, Bolton and Turman on August 2, 1810, is the smallest town in Warren County.
While the early 19th century was characterized by timber, as was shown by the proliferation of timber factories, its beauty, along with motorboats in the lake, began to attract tourists, and wealth, such as material language, expressed itself through the growing number of houses and palaces Rise from the east shore.
By the middle of the century, shops, schools, restaurants and courthouses had gathered in a cohesive town, and access via the New York State Road (I-87) became the last aspect of the infrastructure that ensured the transformation of the holiday destination, especially during the summer months.
Today, Lake George Village, with its only main artery locally named "Canada Street" (Route 9) and access via the Thruway exits, 21, 22 and 23, serves as the southern base for Lake George residents and tourists alike with its service stores, ice shops Karim, restaurants, banks, libraries, historical association. For young travelers, there are arcades, theme parks, haunted houses and the House of Frankenstein Wax Museum.
Lake George Residence
Staying at Lake George takes many forms, including the best-known, Best Western, Holiday Inn, Quality Inn, Hampton Inn and Courtyard by Marriott, to long-standing hotels with Motel Row in the north end of Canada Street. Divided into the 9L and 9N roads, the latter, as it embraces the lake, continues to provide cabins, country houses and complexes a great distance as it heads to Bolton.
Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center is particularly important in the South Lake Basin. The historical key element of the area that had its roots more than a century and a half ago, and now in its third appearance, was originally supported by a trick overlooking the southern part of the then-called Caldwell village. To its three-story basic structure, which stretches 115 feet on both sides and is 235 feet high to the lake, two additional floors were added with a tower on both sides, almost three times its capacity from 350 to 900 guests. Modernization at the turn of the century turned into private bathrooms.
Although the fire of June 24, 1909 consumed the property, it rose again from the ashes two years later when the new owner Delaware and Hudson Reloder opened a smaller facility, but just like the lavish, can accommodate 150 people on three floors. Externally, he was wearing ceilings of white stucco and red tiles.
1912 was the first year that remained open throughout the winter and towards that goal the activity focused on skiing, skiing and skiing. However, the Great Depression, not fires, proved his enemy again, and the railway itself.
The Fort William Henry Foundation, founded in 1952 to revitalize property and create a replica of the original, along with changing the profile of tourists, bypassed its purpose by 1969, prompting its demolition and leaving, at least temporarily, Fort William Henry Motor Inn.
But history, as proved on countless occasions, often repeats itself and dynamic becomes a reality here. The original footprint of 1911 was incorporated and incorporated many design features. A new five-storey all-suite hotel, attracting high-income businesses, opened on 18 July 2004. It is set on 18 acres and offers luxurious accommodation in the main hotel. , Mid-range rooms in the luxurious East Wing, and budget rooms in Standard West one offer many amenities: a fireplace, a lobby equipped with gift shops, White Lion breakfast restaurant, Tankard Tavern, Lookout Café, and nearby attractions such as Fort William Henry Museum. And Battlefield Park Museum and Lake George Steamboat Company.
Enjoy the George Village tour
Due to the compact nature of the village, all tourist-based attractions are located within walking distance of each other.
Lake George Visitor Center:
Located on the corner of Canada Street and Beach Road Beach, Lake George Visitor Center offers a range of brochures, maps and diorama in the area. It is staffed and offers tourists the opportunity to speak with representatives to facilitate trip planning and recommendations.
Lake George Historical Museum and Museum:
Located close to Canada and the streets of Amherst in Lake George Village, the Lake George Historical Society and Museum is located on three floors, 1845 Warren County Court House, and its first conservation work was to save, from demolition, its own dwellings.
"The museum is a popular attraction and provides a way to discover the rich past of this historic area," she advises.
Among the many exhibits are the basement cells of the prison, dating to the court building of 1845, the wreckage of the area, and pictures of former steamboats sailing on the lake.
Fort William Henry Museum:
The Fort William Henry Museum, with its red and historical color, is of historical and symbolic significance and, in its original form, played a role in the French and Indian War. The conflict, an extension of the seven-year war between France and England, was eventually transferred to the soil of North America.
Wrestling for land domination, the English built Fort Edward, the "Great Place of Pregnancy" and the third largest settlement after those in Philadelphia and New York, while the French planted their own roots north of the St. Lawrence River in areas that would later become Pennsylvania and Ohio.
However, the sparks, when ignited between the two sides, have a way to close the distance between them, and this is what happened when the French began building Fort Carillon at the southern end of Lake Champlain in what would eventually become New York State. The principle of physics "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" is probably more applicable here, because the British "interacted" with their own fortification, Fort William Henry at the southern end of the Lac de Saint Holiness, so that they could protect their colonies. As a starting point against French immunizations, it served as an inland water protection between New York and Montreal.
The fort itself, ordered by Major General William Johnson and commissioned by its chief engineer, Captain William Eyre, was designed in a Vauban style – rectangularly formed with corner bastions and 30-foot-long curtain walls initially consisting of wooden formations and earthen gaskets. It was externally surrounded by three dry trenches and a fourth slanted side towards the lake. The capacity was between 400 and 500.
Fort William Henry was inaugurated to honor King George II's grandson and was intended to protect British interests in the south and act as a military starting point against the French and their Native American allies in the north.
The siege of the enemy, under the command of General Marquis de Montcalm, consisting of 3,000 French regulars, 3,000 militias, and 2,000 Native Americans, took place on August 3, 1757, as their tightening lines gradually began to strangle the fort. Lt. Col. George Monroe, who was numerically disadvantaged, sent couriers to Fort Edward to request reinforcements, but Major General Daniel Webb considered the road too dangerous for his soldiers and "kept them at home."
The persistent insistence, artillery depletion and structural damage forced Monroe to surrender six days later, however, the surrender material, the title of Montcalm's surrender terms, was equally humanitarian and generous: British forces were allowed to keep all their property and weapons, without ammunition. The garrison could leave with one gun; they agreed to suspend attacks against the French for 18 months. The French-British regulars marched to Fort Edward the following day.
Ironically, however, the "enemy" has proved, in many ways, that it is the third party of silent Native Americans who are not subject to compensation, who have gained nothing from their participation and thus took matters into their own hands.
The anger, expressed by firing at the wounded and sick left behind, smuggling, and beating, culminated in the kidnapping of weapons, clothing and tools, and the Fort Edward pillar was attacked by Moroccan Indians. Due to both language and customs barriers between Montcalm and his local allies, he was unable to thwart their efforts or appropriately retaliate.
However, William Henry was ordered to be burned to the ground on 11 August.
Occupying its original imprint, a replica of the original British schemes was built in 1955, i.e. 198 years after the actual fort was destroyed by flames. Today, the visitor can take a look at the life of the British soldier in the area through its barracks and strongholds, its charm, the emergency hospital, the guard room, sewing clothes, the Monroe quarters, the 18th-century food and border exhibitions, powder magazines, and sewing shops. A military crypt, an 18-pound cannon recovered from the lake, and the original well from 1756 in the courtyard.
The Museum declares, "Hear the report of gunfire and the roar of the cannon as you retreat in 1757 at Fort William Henry." "Listen to the stories and see the artifacts of everyday life of this British site in the wild, defending the colonies during the French and Indian War."
Across the castle is the lake facing a life-size wooden statue made by Master Wood Carver Paul Stark from Lieutenant Colonel Robert Rogers in a boat, which highlights the history of the area.
Located on 35 acres at the southern end of Lake George, Battlefield Park represents the area where the Algonquin, Iroquois, American colonists and British soldiers clashed. Apart from the remains of Fort George, there are three great statues.
Initially, dedicated to Native Americans in the region, a North American man portrays his hand in a pool of water. In the second, King Hendrick, the Mohawk commander, illustrates the danger of dividing his troops into General William Johnson. In the third, Father Isaac Yogis represents his attempt to spread Christianity to the Huron Indians during the 1930s and 1960s.
Delaware and Hudson Railway Station:
Although now only houses the Steamboat Gift Shop, Delaware and Hudson Railway Station, located across from Lake George Steamboat Company, was built between 1909 and 1911 in a Revival style with a stucco frame, taut brick tower, and upper section of Clay, is a symbol of the role once played in the region.
Transportation between New York City and Montreal initially consisted of traveling through waterways – in this case, these waterways consisted of the Hudson River, Lake George and Lake Champlain – however, the most direct route, resulting in short travel times, was accessible Across land roads. Existing methods, especially trains tracking.
While its origins on the Saratoga-Fort Edward Railroad were leased in 1832, the line, which never materialized, was replaced by Saratoga and Washington Railways, which was formed 16 years later and transported passengers between Saratoga Springs and Whitehall. Shipped as of 1851.
Following changes in ownership, which led to the Saratoga-White Hall Railroad Company in 1855 and the Rensselaer-Saratoga Railway in 1856, the Glens Falls railway was opened in 1869 and extended to Lake George in 1882. When Delaware took over Hudson control, multimodal transport is possible by contacting the vessels of Lake George Steamboat Company for continuous transport to Ticonderoga.
The railway station, as evidence today, was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.
Lake George, the queen of the American Lakes, is the region's main hub.
Between 10,000 and 12,000 years ago, it is 32 miles long, three miles wide, 200 feet deep and 320 feet above sea level.It has 108 miles of coastline, occupies an area of 233 square miles, has 183 islands, and is surrounded by From Montenegro 2665 feet high, its highest peak. Outside Bolton Landing, it is divided into northwest Bay and Narrows.
Three clashes between the British and the French at the Battle of Lake George resulted in the first major victory of the former over the latter. After the blood of yesterday's wars, it became the beauty of today's topography.
Thomas Jefferson once wrote: "Lake George is without the most beautiful water I've ever seen." "It consists of a mountain circumference in a basin 35 miles long and two to four miles wide, finely interspersed with islands, stray waters such as crystal, mountain views covered with orchards rich in silver fir, white pine, aspen, birch paper all the way to the water, here and there there are rocks of In order to check the scene and save it from monotonous. Abundant amounts of trout, salmon, bass, and other fish that are stored have been added to our amusement sport with them. "
Apart from its recreational activities, which include swimming, fishing and parasailing, there are many cruises that cover a part or the whole lake.
Paul Tuckett says in his article "Giants at Lake George is beautiful" from any point of view, but to realize her true majesty in all its forms, there is nothing like skiing along the glittering surface of the "Queen of America's Lakes". Lake "(" Visit the Lake George area of Adirondack in New York, "Warren County Tourism Department, page 24)." … any one of many stunning cruise ships stands ready to accompany travelers through Lake George's lifelong experience . "
“Spend an hour or enjoy an unforgettable day aboard a magnificent ship that pumps the clear waters of Lake George…”, he continues (ibid., P. 24). "The captain discusses the colorful history of Lake George while guests look at the same coastline and forest mountains that inspired George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and James Fenimore Cooper."
Two companies offer a variety of trips, both located at the southern end of the beach road.
Lake George Shoreline Cruzes, the first, has two boats in its 115-foot "Adirondack" fleet, with 400 passengers, created in 2004 and modeled on cruise ships in the late 19th century; 150 passengers, "Horicon", built almost exclusively of mahogany, teak and yellow in 1988.
The company has its own Shoreline restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the lake.
The second interest in the ship, Lake George Steamboat, has been an effective factor in the region's transportation history and has been descended for more than two centuries.
Due to the success of the steamboat services on Lake Champlain adjacent to the north, the George George Lake Steamboat Company planted its own water roots on April 15, 1817 after the New York State Legislature approved commercial shipping.
The James Caldwell, a third-engine boat with two long brick chimneys and a brick chimney, is its first ship, which began service that year, and required a full day to traverse the length of the lake. But the inauspicious start of service had a mysterious end: the flame consumed it incomprehensibly after four years while he was anchored at his platform.
They were soon left behind by three other boats: the Mountaineer, 100 feet long and six miles per hour in 1824, a side vehicle; 140 feet long and 13 miles per hour, William Caldwell in 1838; 145 feet long and 13 miles long. الساعة "جون جاي" في عام 1850. في عام 1857 ، التحق "مين-ها-ها" برفقة 400 راكب وحرق الأخشاب.
كمالك لاحق ، لمدة 72 عامًا بين 1871 و 1943 لشركة Lake George Steam Boat Company ، شيدت سكة حديد Delaware و Hudson بعضًا من أرقى السفن البخارية ذات العجلات الجانبية المستخدمة في نظام النقل المتعدد الوسائط للمسار والمياه ، خاصةً 223 – القدم ، 20 ميل في الساعة "Sagamore" و 230 قدمًا ، و 21 ميلًا في الساعة "Horicon II".
أي تغيير في ملكية ما بعد الحرب العالمية الثانية على الكابتن ويلبر داو في نوفمبر من عام 1945 سبقت إحياء الشركة ، الأمر الذي استتبع إضافة "موهيكان" بعد ذلك بعامين ، و "تيكونديروجا" في عام 1950 ، وبناء رصيف الصلب الحالي على طريق الشاطئ.
ثلاثة قوارب تشكل أسطولها اليوم.
تم تصميم "Lac du Saint Sacrement" ، الرائد ، خصيصًا للمجموعات الكبيرة والاتفاقيات. تمتد 189.6 قدمًا وتتسع لـ 1149 على أربعة طوابق ، وقد تم تعميدها في 15 يونيو 1989 ولديها سرعة أعلى تبلغ 18 ميلًا في الساعة.
يعد "Minne-Ha-Ha" ، الذي أطلق اسمه على زوجة Hiawatha ويعني "المياه الضاحكة" ، أحد آخر عجلات التجديف التي تعمل بالبخار وتشبه قوارب نهر المسيسيبي. تم تمديده في عام 1998 ، وهو يمتد الآن إلى 137 قدمًا ويحمل 500 راكب على ثلاثة طوابق.
تم بناء السفينة "موهيكان" ، وهي السفينة الثالثة في الأسطول ، في عام 1908 ، وبالتالي فهي أقدم قارب رحلات يعمل باستمرار في البلاد ، وهو مدرج في السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية. تم تحويله من بخار إلى ديزل في عام 1946 ، ويبلغ طوله 117 قدمًا ، ويستوعب 350 قدمًا على ثلاثة طوابق ، ويبلغ طوله 15 ميلًا في الساعة.
تدير كل من بحيرة جورج شورلاين كروزس وليك جورج ستيمبوت كومباني مجموعة متنوعة من الرحلات البحرية ، من الواجهة البحرية إلى بارادايس باي ، جزر ذي ناروس ، ورحلات طويلة إلى تيكونديروجا ، مع عدد متساوٍ من خيارات تناول الطعام: وجبة خفيفة ذاتية الشراء يتم تقديم وجبات البار والشواء وغداء بعد الظهر والعشاء في المساء مع الترفيه ، وسانت لويس ريب الإثنين ، وتاكو الثلاثاء ، وجبن ماك الأربعاء ، وبيتزا يوم الخميس ، وفييستا فرايديز ، و برايم ريب الأحد.
يختتم تاكيت (المرجع نفسه ، ص 25) ، "لهذه المغامرة البحرية الفريدة من نوعها" ، صعد على متن أي من هذه الأعجوبة البيضاء المتلألئة ورجوع إلى الخلف. يصبح عالما في حد ذاته: النسيم لعوب تتحرك فوق الركاب كما تدفئهم الشمس والجسد والروح ".
تاكيت ، بول. "عمالقة البحيرة". "قم بزيارة منطقة بحيرة جورج في أديرونداك في نيويورك." وزارة السياحة في مقاطعة وارن ، 2019.