American Mob – Abe Wagner – Whacked by Murder Incorporated

Dad Wagner was a thug and a man on the east side of the East and he shared himself as a Jewish headscarf, the new Kiddara, he told people; One day, the son of Italian mob leader Joe "The Boss" Masseria was roughed up, and he asked the child to go home and show his old man what Abe Wagner did. Fortunately for Wagner, Masseria was shot dead before he could avenge his son's indignation.

Wagner and his brother Alie had a beautiful life in the shoe trade on the lower east side, when the novice Mazza gang decided to move in and take over their operations. On February 20, 1932, Wagner was walking down Suffolk Street in his new car. As Wagner slowly weaved through several jeeps on the streets, half a dozen archers appeared and opened fire. When his car was shot in Swiss cheese, Wagner was somehow able to knock the passenger door, then flee by walking down the busy street.

Not being the bravest soul as he claimed, Wagner decided to make peace with his enemies. He sent his partner Harry Brown and his brother Albi to the headquarters of the Maza gang at Hatfield Hotel on the Upper East Side. "See if you can pay it off," Wagner said. The two men arrived at Hatfield Hotel with a large sum of money. Maza accepted the money, but then shot Alby Wagner, leaving Harry Brown alive, so that he could deliver the message to Wagner's father, that peace could not be made until my old father died too.

Wagner's mother, Pauli, was angered and her younger son Albi was killed and did not want the fate of my father himself. "Take Goldie (Abe's wife) and go away somewhere for a moment," Mama Wagner told her son. "Go now so don't worry. Hurry up."

Wagner did as his mother said and left the city quickly. A month later, Lindbergh's child was abducted in Hopewell, New Jersey, and Wagner was immediately in doubt. Colonel H. Norman Schwarzkopf, New Jersey Police Chief: "We have information that Wagner was seen in Hopewell a month before the kidnapping."

The police could not find Wagner, but the Maza gang, now adjacent to Lucky Luciano, had many eyes, eyes and feet on the ground across the country, and they put this device on. After Wagner placed his wife in places outside the city, he decided to sneak into New York City to see his mother. He was in his mother's apartment for a few hours, when the floor returned to Mama Wagner in which her son was spotted. "Go quickly," she said. "do not wait".

Wagner picked up his wife and went up west, stopping in St. Paul, Minnesota. He changed his identity to Abi Loeb and decided to enter the fruit trade. In weeks, Mazza Gang was on Wagner, and Luciano contacted his old colleagues Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky, who together with Louie "Lepke" Buchalter, created an elegant work called Murder Incorporated, which included a group of contract killers. for hire. They sent two of their best men, Joseph Schiffer and George Young, to St. Paul to press the button on Wagner. Both men were already at stake, for killing federal agent John J. Venillo, during a raid two years ago on the Elizabeth brewery, New Jersey, illegal. Both men also knew St. Paul closely, because he was one of their hideouts during the two fugitive years.

On July 25, 1932, Wagner and his new partner Al Gordon left a drug store on University Street after filling a prescription. They were followed by Scheffer and Young, who were riding in Packard's dark green. Suddenly, the striking men jumped out of the car and started shooting. Gordon was killed on the spot, but Wagner was only injured. He ran for his life at University Avenue, then turned to Snelling Avenue. The gunmen signed with Wagner as he ran to the Green Dragon restaurant. There, in front of the witnesses, they shot him six times, then beat him on the head with their rifle butts for good measure. Wagner died hours later at Anker Hospital and the gunman was arrested by a traffic patrol minutes later on Roy Street. They were tried, convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment, despite attempts by Lansky and Siegel, who spent thousands of dollars to help them avoid the death penalty.

The dead "Loeb" is not recognized by St. Paul's police as a fugitive Wagner. As a result, the following Thursday, Mama Wagner held a "press conference" in her apartment on Rutgers Street. "My child Ali was killed in St. Paul last Monday. He was killed by the same killers as my ally here," she told the newspaper. "I knew they would, but why? Why? I had a very good child for me."

As evidence of her son's death, she produced a telegram from Wagner's wife Goldie, asking her to transfer $ 25 so she could move Wagner to New York for burial. "That was all I had," Mama Wagner said. "If it's not my son, why do I get the telegram?"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *